Thursday, March 31, 2011

Four months later, he becomes my forever

I flew to Connecticut to see Sam in July of 2010 for a yearly event he helps run, Sailfest. It is a festival of food, music and fun on the pier in New London, CT. It was three days, three very busy days. We woke up early to help set-up and were there late to help shut down. I was just counting down to Saturday night, as Sam really built up my expectations for the firework display that they put on each year. He bragged about how wonderful it was, and he knew how much I LOVE fireworks! 

Saturday Sam had to be down at Sailfest bright and early (6am) and being the gentleman he is, he did not want me to have to wake up that early on my vacation. I knew I loved this man! He told me to sleep in and his mom would pick me up in the morning after I woke up and was ready to go. His mom picked me up, we went to get lunch and a little shopping. She dropped me off Downtown New London  a little after noon and I met up with Sam. He was very busy and seemed extra stressed. I assumed it was because the event was stressing him out, but I later found out it was for other reasons. There was a storm on its way and the fireworks might have to get cancelled if the storm hits. I was crossing my fingers and toes it held off as I was ready to see some fireworks! Saturday night finally gets here, the weather is cooperating, there was a chance of rain. Fireworks are still ago, I am one happy girl. Because he is on the planning committee we are able to have a front row seat for the fireworks, right on the pier. The fireworks are light from barges out in the middle of the river. Being from Las Vegas this is all new to me! I am a desert girl, so fireworks over the water.... heaven!


Sam and I were waiting for the fireworks to begin he is standing behind me resting his chin on my shoulder. In this moment I feel like everything is perfect. I am standing with the man of my dreams, over looking a beautiful river and getting ready for one of the best firework displays in the country. The fireworks begin, Sam was right! I have no words to describe the beauty. It was unlike anything I had ever seen. There were two barges in the middle of the river, each were lighting off fireworks. I am used to seeing fireworks shoot up into the sky, however, it was new to me to see fireworks shoot out to the side. In Las Vegas, that would just mean one nasty desert fire! To say the least, I was memorized!

Sam was talking into my ear, I was trying to listen and pay attention to what he was saying but the fireworks took part of my attention. He kept trying to get me to turn around, but they kept shooting off my favorite fireworks that look like floating glitter and I kept saying "wait, these are my favorites!" He was still standing behind me talking into my ear and say, "life with you has been a fairy tale and I would like to continue this fairytale." He put his hands on my shoulders and turned me around  for what I thought was a kiss, but he dropped to one knee and asked me to marry him. I was in total shock and could not believe what was happening. Of course I said yes, but he did ask "that was a yes, right?" I responded Yes! Yes! 
I felt like I was floating, I was going to have my Mr. Wonderful forever! I was so excited to call my parents and share my news, when I called my dad answered the phone and he said, "I already knew, but I am going to put you on speaker so you can tell your mom"  Sam asked by dads permission, but my dad decided to keep that little bit of information from my mom.  I told my mom I was engaged and all she could say was "WHAT!? OMG Shelby I am so happy for you!" followed by "Robby, You knew and didn't tell me!!" 

Now, I thought that this night couldn't get any better, I was engaged to the man of my dreams and my parents couldn't be happier for me. Life is great! But, my amazing Fiance was thoughtful and wanted to be able to share our excitement with my friends and family back home and had someone film our engagement. I love being able to look back at that moment and I am so happy we have that recorded to share with our loved ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment