Monday, June 6, 2011

Think Pink!

Pink is by far one of my favorite colors, I knew I wanted it to be one of my wedding colors. However, I did not want an overkill of pink. Such as :
(Project Wedding)


I wanted pink to be more of an accent color rather than THE color. I decided to add little pops of pink here and there. I knew I wanted pink shoes, and I found them! (see previous post)  I also knew after looking through the brilliant ladies on weddingbee.com that I wanted pink crinoline. I thought it would be near to impossible to find pink crinoline! I then learned (thanks to weddingbee) that I could dye my own crinoline in the washing machine. I did just that!

(personal photo)
This is how I dyed my crinoline:
  1. Place crinoline in the washing machine around the center post, it helps prevent it from getting into one big knot.
  2. Run crinoline through the wash on hot with no detergent, just with plain water to get it wet and rinse off any thing that may be sticking to the material.
  3. Remove wet crinoline from machine and set aside.
  4. Start the washing machine and allow it to fill with the hottest water possible. Choose the most extended wash cycle, and a load size that allows the crinoline to easily move within the machine.
  5. Turn the crinoline inside-out, so that the netting is facing outward.
  6. I suggest using the liquid rit, much easier than mixing!  I used two full bottles of the fuchsia to get my crinoline bright pink.
  7. Wearing rubber gloves, add the crinoline to the dye bath. Allow it to agitate for at least 30 minutes. Reset the cycle for another 30 minutes of agitation if you prefer a darker/brighter color.
  8. After the agitation cycle, let the crinoline finish out the rinse cycle in the washing machine.
  9. I washed my crinoline with detergent to make sure the dye was set (didn't want to have pink rub off on my dress on the wedding day)
  10. Hang to dry.
  11. Clean the washing machine by running a large, hot water cycle and adding detergent and one cup of bleach.

I was so happy with how bright the pink turned out, The outside is a little brighter/darker pink than the mesh/tulle inside but it gives it a nice look with the various shades of pink!
(Personal Photo)

I couldn't wait to try it on under my dress for a few reasons: 1. to make sure my entire bottom half of my dress did not look pink with the crinoline under it (it didn't!) and 2. I wanted to admire my handy work (ha ha)

And it is exactly what I was hoping it would be!

No comments:

Post a Comment